The Delaney Family Reunion, January 15-16 2005
Eve Lamb of 'The Warrnambool Standard' did a good write up of the Reunion called 'Family a long way from Tipperary'. Seems 850 had snuck in by the time she did the write up ;).
The Reunion was a great success with 410 adults registered, meaning that there were at least 550 there, (7-800, if you believe what local journalists were told). The weather was fine, the books sold like hotcakes, the barbies sizzled and a good time was had by all, as evidenced by the following shots. If you click on the links below, the photos should download in another window.
The program to the Delaney Family Reunion was published in the Warrnambool Standard. If you missed it, click here to open a PDF version of it in a new window, which you can then print from your browser or save for later reference.
Some of the key details are:
Copies of "Delaney's Corner" and "Delaney Family Tree" available at the reunion.
- Where: Brucknell Scout Camp - Timboon-Nullawarre Road
- When: Saturday/Sunday 15th/16th January 2005
- Saturday 15th January
||Registration - Name tags etc.|
Registration: $10 per adult. (to help cover expenses)
||Mass celebrated by Fr Barry Stickland|
||Lunch; BYO all; Seating for over 200 people. BBQ's, hot water, refrigerators, gas stoves available.|
||Official Opening and Launch of "Delaney's Corner" by D. J. (Joe) Delaney AO.|
Special welcome to interstate and overseas visitors.
Unfurling of Family Tree.
Naming oldest/youngest present at reunion, overall and in each of the seven "lines".
||sports and entertainment; time to meet and talk.|
||Tea. BYO. Facilities as above for lunch available.|
||Entertainment: singer Denis Taberner & his music. Denis to sing his Delaney's whiskey composition.|
Items from members of the Delaney clan.
Dance - Irish and contemporary music.
- Sunday 16th January
||General talk time. Opportunity to visits sites of the early Delaney farms and other points of interest.|
||Farewell BBQ. BYO.|
Here's the invitation to the Delaney Family Reunion. If you click on it, a new window will open with a larger version (138kB) of it, which you can then print from your browser or save for later reference.
Some of the key details are:
- To take place at Brucknell Park, on the Timboon-Nullawarre Road, Nirranda, Victoria, VicRoads Country Directory Map 90, Ref F9. There's also a pretty good map here.
- 15 January 2005 is the 150th anniversary of the landing of John & Bridget Delaney and their family at Belfast, later Port Fairy
- Some accomodation options are:
- At the venue: some rooms with bunk beds; caravan sites (4 powered); camping sites. Booking details on the invitation
- In Warrnambool and Terang: Motel and other accomodation. Contact the Warrnambool Tourist Information Centre, Flagstaff Hill, Merri Street, Warrnambool, Victoria 3280, phone 61 (0)3 5564 7837, fax +61 (0)3 5561 2133, email email@example.com.
- Contact names and numbers on the invitation